Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The changing world of Intrigue -- Patricia Rosemoor

Several lists are afire with the fact that Intrigue might be heading in a new direction. I personally think Intrigues have changed directions several times over these many years since I sold my first book to the line back in 1985. But then, the times have changed and so have what readers are looking for in their entertainment. Even so, there were no overnight changes. They came a bit at a time until they evolved into what we write now. And I expect they will evolve forever.

My first Intrigues were very much romantic mysteries filled with clues, clues, clues. My first Intrigues were pretty spicy, but I soon let the heat take a back seat to the mystery. Then we were asked for more romance in our Intrigues and they heated up again. Traditional was the hallmark. Now it's not. The heroines are stronger. The danger is darker. For me, the darker the better. Especially if it's paranormal.

In GHOST HORSE, my July Eclipse/Intrigue, my heroine Chloe Morgan is drawn into a gothic story of a ghost horse who leads her to the truth of a friend who disappeared. I was able to cast doubt on hero Damian Graylord (it's a gothic -- a hero-in-doubt is traditional!). Is Damian really divorced or did he kill his wife? And who is making all those noises in the attic over Chloe's bed. Very fun to write.

As a reader, how have Intrigues changed for you? Do you feel the backlist still works or do you want something fresh? What would you like to see in an Intrigue?

Patricia Rosemoor

9 comments:

  1. I've always thought that Intrigue was the most mainstream of the category lines. Right, in the early days, there was more emphasis on clues and the mystery of the story. I consider that an Intrigue has three main elements--the romance, the suspense and the mystery. If I can't fit all three into one book, I focus on the suspense and romance.

    In my first Intrigues, the editor used to shorten my love scenes. Then she started asking me to make them longer--which I loved doing, since I consider the development of the physical passion between the h/h an essential part of their relationship.

    Yes, we can deal with darker more "real" topics. But I still se some restrictions. For example, in my Berkley single titles I'd get more into the head of a serial killer than I would in an Intrigue.

    Also, I still go crazy working around the language restrictions. Real people curse in stressful situations. Certainly my heros would--and also my bad guys.

    Ruth/Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new direction Intrigues are going in. They have certainly evolved int he past 5 yrs that I have been reading. Each book is better than the next.

    Eclipses are my new thing. I like the paranormal twists and elements. I am looking forward to seeing where the line goes and if it will become regular and not just a promotion.

    Intrigues fill up that need to read in me. The suspence, action, romance, and mystery make i t a satisfying read. And when there is a paranormal element added. I am totally happy.

    This month there are a lot of good reads that I want. That only proves Intrigues have grown and gotten better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sasha, thanks for the interesting comments. Do you think Intrigue's readership is changing? I know we used to have a lot of older readers. I hope we are capturing a younger audience.
    Ruth/Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:59 AM

    I discovered Intrigue around 1991, I think. At that time, it was more an emphasis on mysteries. As a lifelong mystey fan (having started on the Bobbbsey Twins, Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, etc) I was in love. The combination of romance and mystery hooked me from the start.

    Though, I miss some of those pure mystery type novels, I think Intrigue has evolved in a very powerful way and it continues to be a very appealing read.

    I have many of those old Intrigues on my keeper shelf and I enjoy taking them out on occasion when I want any easy read to read them again. But, it's clear to me that today's Intrigues are grittier, edgier, skirt the mainstream much more than ever. They strike me as being very much in tune with readers in their twenties and thirties, as well as those older.

    Like Sasha, I'm excited by the possiblities Intrigue offers to both readers and writers. I figure I'll be an Intrigue fan for many years to come.

    Patrizia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading intrigues on and off for years, probably since they first came out. I too am a mystery reader from back to Nancy Drew (still have all of them and hope my dd will like them some day, she's only 3). I loved the 43 Light Street btw Rebecca (Ruth).

    There was a time when I wasn't really liking the direction some of the Intrigues were taking (sorry for some reason could not get in to the Familiar cat stories, although I did seem to read them all). I tend to like gritty msyteries where it isn't so obvious who the villian is. I read a lot of mainstream suspense like Patricia Cornwell and Jonathan Kellerman and that's more to my liking. I like intrigues that are more suspense and less romance but that the romance is still there.

    OK, I think I've gone off on a tangent which is probably not making any sense anymore but the point is I like them a bit darker too. I'll have to read one of the newer intrigues to see what's changed. I have just started reading Blazes and the two I read had a great suspense content.

    Cheers,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I meant to add I think that Intrigues by their nature would attract a younger audience. I'm not sure when you say "older" how old we are talking but I'm 37 now and I've been reading them for at least 15 years (give or take).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved Ghost Horse Patricia!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:24 PM

    thanks for the infomation

    ReplyDelete