Sunday, June 05, 2005

Another day at the keyboard--Julie Miller

On my lunch break--thought I'd check in to see if I could get this process right today--hooray!

Sang pretty at church this morning--we have a little Andrews Sisters-style trio--during the summer months, the choir goes on vacation and various church members volunteer to do special music. That got me up early, home early, at the keyboard early--busily trying to finish up my current wip.

I don't write too many heroes in doubt--in doubt to the heroine, at first, perhaps--but I love to write in the hero's pov, so it's hard to make him appear genuinely evil or dangerous when we can get into his head and see what his motivations are.

I do love to write reluctant heroes, though--those guys who either don't think they have the right stuff, but who step up because of necessity--or those dark, tortured guys who've given all they have already. Dark and tortured is a favorite of mine--it's such an emotional journey to see someone dig deep into the well inside them to find one more scrap of something to fight with. My current wip, SEARCH AND SEIZURE, features that type of hero. He's lost everything he ever cared about and doesn't give a damn about much of anything. But there's that scrap of something inside him, that part of his broken soul that remembers what justice and fighting for the underdog is all about. And, hey, with a scrappy heroine who won't let him quit around, he comes a long way to save the day and fall in love. Absolutely, a favorite storyline of mine!

Julie Miller

1 comment:

  1. Hmm. How many times can I say 'scrap' or 'scrappy' in the same post? Ha!

    Julie Miller

    ReplyDelete