Sunday, June 19, 2005

Julie Miller--Just Dropping By/Satisfying Endings

Hey, everyone!
Haven't been by for a while so I thought I'd check in. You know, sometimes I don't think my life could get any busier, then, voila!, there's always something more to do. So I apologize for not getting here sooner. There's always something interesting to discuss, and I'm afraid I'll get distracted (I think my self-discipline has gone on summer vacation :) Even though work and family and life haven't taken a break!)

I do think one of the newer trends in romance novels, especially in a more mainstream line like Intrigue, is the idea that a 'satisfying' ending is just as acceptable as a 'happily-ever-after' ending. Sometimes, because of the plot and character demands, timeline of the story, etc., it just isn't realistic for every story to have the H/h get married/pregnant/propose/etc., that have been the staple of romance novels for years. I DO think it's important that they H/h make a commitment by the end of an Intrigue, since it is a series romance line. The reader (and I, the writer) wants that sense of closure--that security or reassurance--that everything will turn out okay for this couple that we've invested however many hours of our lives in. That commitment/security is a happy ending for me--what's being referred to now as a satisfying ending. Personally, I don't like it when the complete, traditional ending is tacked on to a book, when it seems forced or out of character for that completion to occur.

My best example is in my Intrigue, UNSANCTIONED MEMORIES. The heroine is a rape survivor, and much of the story deals with her recovery from the trauma, and learning to trust a man (and herself) in a relationship again. The hero is a man bent on vengeance, who initially deceives the heroine (not good for trust issues) in order to accomplish that goal. Of course, part of his character journey is to learn that vengeance won't bring back the loved-one he lost, it hurts to deceive someone he cares about, taking care of the living is more important than taking care of a memory, that positive emotions are more healing than negative ones, etc. For me, both characters had too far to go emotionally for them to be at the HEA point at the end of 300 pages. Instead, the story ends with them going to bed together for the first time, and him making the promise that they'll go through counseling together. They acknowledge that sex and a relationship won't be smooth sailing for them, but--the commitment to stick with a relationship through this healing/growth process gave me a sense of satisfaction. U MEMORIES is part of my Taylor Clan mini-series, and they do eventually get married in the last book of the series. But those characters needed that time.

So, yeah, imo, that satisfaction/security must be there at the end of a romance or romantic suspense novel. Sometimes, they do get to a wedding or delivery of a baby or a marriage proposal, sometimes, they don't. For me, without that commitment at the end of the story, it's not a romance novel to me. It might still be a good book, but if I'm writing or reading romance/romantic suspense, then that's a guarantee I want--a satisfying ending, or a believably traditional ending if it fits.

My long-winded thoughts.

Okay, now I really must get back to work!!

Julie Miller
www.juliemiller.org

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:12 PM

    Julie, as a reader, I need a HEA or a satisfying ending for closure. I appreciate knowing what happened to characters from previous books in a series, too. So even though your characters didn't have a HEA in that particular book(Unsanctioned Memories), they do have one down the line if the reader is patient. I love series books just for that reason. It's like visiting old friends when you read the newest book.

    LindaC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Linda. I think that's one reason I enjoy series books so much, too. You really get to know the family or community, and can slowly get to know them before their story (who would you like to know better/who makes a great sidekick/who would you like to reform/etc.), and keep tabs on them after the fact. Thanks!

    Julie Miller

    ReplyDelete
  3. About series books--or any books I write. I feel like I can put the characters through a lot of anguish because I'm going to make it come out all right in the end.

    I am working on an Intrigue now where I'm struggling with the ending. The hero is a vampire. And at the end he and the heroine want to stay together. She's a silversmith, and she makes them matching rings. But they're obviously not going to get married and have babies.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:43 AM

    Like what?
    hydrocodone

    ReplyDelete