Monday, June 20, 2005

pushing the envelope--Rebecca York

Patricia, I'm answering you in a new window. as I said over on the CNN loop, I was astonished when I did UNDERCOVER ENCOUNTER as part of the New Orleans Confidential series, and the editor told me to have the heroine be a cop and go under cover in a bordello. I never would have dared come up with that plot on my own. But I loved writing it.

At the moment, I am writing a vampire book, THE SECRET NIGHT. I am finished the book and editing it. And I'm worried about the first scene. The vampire hero is a private detective and he has been hired to stop a bunch of low life bikers from partying in a graveyard. As I've written it, he scares the spit out of them, and they leave. But he doesn't bite anyone on the neck or anything really heavy. What do you all think? How far can I go? As I wrote it, the reader doesn't even know he's a vampire until chapter two. Am I safer leaving it that way? Or should I write it the way I'd write it if it were one of my single-title Berkley books?

Darn--I forgot to change the font color. And the size. Sorry. Anybody know how to block one of these messages? Every time i try that, the whole message goes away.
Ruth/Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. Kelsy, I might try it. But I HATE being asked to rewrite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:42 PM

    good post

    ReplyDelete