Friday, June 10, 2005

Villains and Heroes--Mallory Kane

Love the Evil Overlord list, Ruth!

The closest I came to villain explaining everything was in A PROTECTED WITNESS when the real killer finally captured my heroine and she wanted to know why he'd killed her father and her husband. He explains, but at the same time two other bad guys are doing things (one's fighting with the hero) and the hero is struggling to get to them because of course, being the hero, he's figured it all out ... well, most of it anyhow.

As for heroes in doubt -- I LOVE them. The masters (Christie, Mary Stewart's Ivy Tree, Dick Francis, Phyllis Whitney) can stay in the protagonist's head and still make sure the reader doesn't quite know everything. I love that!!! I aspire to that! Although probably not in Intrigue.

Mallory Kane

1 comment:

  1. Glad you liked the Evil Overlord. It makes you think about all the plot devices we use, doesn't it?
    There's one in particular that an editor stuck into one of my books!
    Ruth/Rebecca

    ReplyDelete