Tuesday, June 28, 2005

MUSIC FOR INTRIGUES--Amanda Stevens

I know a lot of writers who listen to music while they work. I can't do that. I need absolute peace and quiet (sometimes hard to come by at my house), but I do get inspiration from music. I often pick a 'theme' song for my current WIP, and while I don't have it on as I write, I'll give it a listen throughout the day to evoke a certain mood. I even sometimes choose a song that I think would make a great soundtrack if my book was made into a movie (wishful thinking).

I'll admit my tastes are a little offbeat. For romance, I love New Wave music from the eighties (Images of Heaven, Send me an Angel...to name a couple of my favorite songs). For dark, dark, dark stories, there is nothing like Skinny Puppy to evoke a nightmarish mood. For anyone not familiar with this band, their music was just used on the new TV show "The Inside". Also Massive Attack (Flight of the Phoenix, Mission: Impossible, Stigmata, Moulin Rouge) can really get the adrenaline going.

Does anyone else use music for inspiration? What songs/artists are a natural fit for your Intrigues?

Amanda Stevens
www.amandastevens.com

6 comments:

  1. I often listen to the soundtrack for the film BODY HEAT. The music is both sexy and dangerous--just like an Intrigue. And I love that sax!

    Ann Voss Peterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:59 PM

    That's a good one, Ann. As I recall, that soundtrack is very sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't have music going while I'm writing, either--esp. anything with lyrics will distract me. Too many words.

    But I, too, find theme songs for my books--ones I listen to over and over (driving my family nuts!) during the course of writing the ms--in the car, doing the dishes, etc. The song becomes an anchor that gets my brain into the story. I tend to go for dramatic stuff, gets me in an emotional tizzy and stimulates creativity.

    I've used a variety of music. Here are a few:
    You Raise Me Up--Josh Groban
    You'll Be in My Heart--Phil Collins (TARZAN Soundtrack)
    The Magnificent Seven--Elmer Bernstein
    Where Would You Be?--Martina McBride
    Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack
    My List, Beer For My Horses--Toby Keith
    Be A Man (MULAN Soundtrack)--Donny Osmond vocal
    Guys and Dolls--Nathan Lane/Faith Prince version
    Silverado Sountrack

    Julie Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:25 AM

    Rose--Not weird at all. I'm by no means a Brittney Spears fan, but 'Toxic' is a great song.

    And here I thought I was the only one who had theme songs. My very first book 'KILLING MOON' was actually inspired by a song by the same title.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was doing some straightening in my office and sorting through my tapes/CD's. Came up with a couple more songs that were 'inspirational' when it came to putting together a story, and then that I played throughout the writing like an anchor that got me into the story (not while I was writing--but before I'd sit down at the computer, etc.)

    That's the Way--Celine Dion
    This Kiss--Faith Hill

    I love a good, emotional song that creates a picture in my head--sometimes they'll give me character and scene ideas.

    I'm still searching for the right song for the book I just started this week. I'll know it when I hear it.

    Julie Miller

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:37 PM

    thanks for the info

    ReplyDelete